BEST OF BOTH WORLDS: While HID tech peaked years ago,Morimoto is still coming out with the good stuff for the OG retrofitters who still believe Bi-xenon is best! Frankly, being the more mature technology relative to LED, that is hard to argue too, and when it comes to performance, that shows! With the introduction of the new Micro D2S 5.0, Morimoto brings the big boy beam pattern from the Mini D2S 5.0 into a Mini H1 sized package. Best of both worlds? Why yes!
OUTPUT: The hot spot on the new 5.0 bi-xenon sits right in between a Mini H1 8.0 and a Mini D2S 5.0, but its certainly closer to the D2S performance side of the spectrum! With decades of experience in the projector game, the beam pattern is perfectly distributed with a natural gradient of intensity down to the foreground, and the high beam is hard to beat. Derived from the powerful EvoX-R design, dare we say it may even be more effective than its big brother in that department?
ANTI-REFLECTIVE COATING LENS: The blue tint to the lens is more than marketing fluff too. That’s an AR coating, and it serves a real purpose. AR coatings increase the transmission of light through the glass all while decreasing bleed. The result? 10% more light and less glare compared to a traditional clear lens. The blue-hue may not be for everybody, but in this case we’re down. Read more about AR coatings HERE.
HARDWARE UPGRADES: The Micro D2S 5.0 comes standard with the MotoHolders: which were originally developed for the top of the line D2S 5.0. They are a one-piece design that’s far easier to work with than the bulb holders found on no-name brand projectors. The CNC machined aluminum lock rings are not only pretty looking, but they’re 300% stronger than the old die cast part. To tighten them, Morimoto now offers an optional lock-ring tightening tool that works with any 10mm socket set. Torx screws now hold the lens holder on too instead of Philips screws.
INSTALLATION SUMMARY: On a H4-based fog light reflector for example…Remove the fog light lens, insert the threaded mounting shaft through the pre-existing hole in the back of the reflector, add the alignment plate, tighten the lock ring, and re-seal the fog lights. For other applications, minimal cutting will probably be involved but you’ll find the results well worth it! Check out the installation procedure linked above.
- PROJECTORS: 2x (One Pair) Micro D2S 5.0 Bi-Xenon Projectors
- HARDWARE: 2x 9006 Solenoid Input Pigtails, Bulb Holders, Mounting Hardware
- WARRANTY: 3 Years
- APPLICATIONS: Universal (cars/trucks/motorcycles)
- DIRECT FITMENT: H4 housings
- MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED: All Other Sizes
- HID BALLASTS: 35W Only
- BULB TYPE: D2S HID Only
- SHROUDS: All Styles (w/ Centric Rings)
- CENTRIC RINGS: Shrouds Require Mini H1 Model
- COMPLIANCE: Exceeds DOT requirements
- APPLICATION: HID and LED projectors are street legal in the USA for Fog Light use only. Not compliant with DOT / FMVSS108 and not street legal in the USA for Headlights. Legal for off-road use in Snowmobile and ATV headlights and off-road racing use only auxiliary or forward lighting. International street legality varies by country. Note: This usage regulation is not unique to Morimoto projectors. All LED and HID bulbs from all other brands, regardless of marketing claims, are prohibited from street use in halogen headlights in the USA.
- HOMOLOGATION ECE: NO
- DOT/SAE/FVMSS108: NO (NOT STREET LEGAL IN HEADLIGHTS IN USA)
- POWER: 35w HID Systems Only
- TRAFFIC PATTERN: LHD
- LENS DIAMETER: 2.5in
- DIMENSIONS: 69mm H, 85mm W, 141mm D (incl. bulb holder)
- MOUNTING SHAFT: 34mm Diameter
- HOUSING DEPTH: 110mm Minimum
- LENS TYPE: AR Coated ‘Kuria Optic’ Glass